The Noble Crew—"a particularly moving demonstration of citizen volunteers taking on a daunting preservation project and completing it with great style."
Started on March 31, 1992, the Noble Crew—a coalition of private citizens and businesses—has contributed over $1,000,000 worth of labor and materials to the adaptive reuse of Building D, a former mariners' dormitory of old Sailors' Snug Harbor. In a series of Crew dates, they transformed a derelict, virtually abandoned building into a gleaming museum. The rehabilitation of the 28,500 square-foot National Historic Landmark, built in 1841 and opened in 1844, was the product of over eight years of services and materials. The Crew's efforts have been described as "a particularly moving demonstration of citizen volunteers taking on a daunting preservation project and completing it with great style," by a representative of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. "The Noble [Crew] may be one of the nation's best examples of a volunteer restoration project." The Crew is active today, contributing its time and talent on a regular basis.
The museum needs volunteers to work on the building, to help with clerical and curatorial work, and to join the effort to rehabilitate Robbins Reef Lighthouse. To be informed on upcoming Crew dates, send your name, address, email address, and telephone number to the museum. Crew dates are scheduled throughout the year. They involve a variety of tasks, from gardening to cleaning, painting, repairs, and moving, as well as clerical and curatorial projects.